Helpful Hint - Document Your Modeling Progress with a Photo Booth

 T

Photograph 2021 Nicholas Kalis
Slow Dolphin 20cm LED Portable Photo Studio

Copyright 2021 Nicholas Kalis
Resulting Photograph - note no crease in backdrop, no shadow, and a well-lite subject

Helpful Hints

I am not titling this essay as a product review as I really feel unqualified to opine on the quality of this device; what I can share is that I found this handy and began to use it within minutes of opening the accompanying reusable tote bag. Here is a photograph of the Slow Dolphin 20cm LED Portable Photo Studio, also identified as 20cm Photo Studio Box. You can find a size to fit your needs on Amazon. Be warned - modelers will find this small box, while perfect for N scale modelers, will not accommodate most HO and O scale engines. Though I model in 1:20.3 scale,I have found it handy for documenting parts and other products I have used in my modeling. If you will be photographing large structures and other large models, you may need to buy a larger model or purchase both. One added benefit of this booth is that you might have a family member who can use it for their hobbies or home-based business. I bought it because of the low price and that it would not take up too much room in my office. At $ 15, I consider this an important tool for anyone's workbench or office. Remember, you will need to plug this into your computer for power or use a transformer (not supplied). 

It comes with two attached strips of white LED lights and a two-headed power cord. It does come with six color backdrops (Black, White, Orange, Blue, Red, and Green). The backdrops do have a textured surface that purchasers should be aware of. However, there is nothing stopping you for creating your own backdrop with a sheet of colored paper of the texture and or color you desire. This studio box - shipped flat - also comes with a handy tote bag for storing the folded box and its backdrops. I was able to put it together and plug it into my computer in a matter of a few minutes. I did not even need to consult any instructions - is that not what we men are famous for?

This box, along with a smart phone, could also be helpful towards documenting what you did towards the NMRA Achievement Program or for preparing illustrated articles for publication.

Revised July 31, 2023

Comments