Product Review - 35182 American Flags Scale 1/35 by Reality in Scale

Copyright 2020 Nicholas Kalis

Product Review

35182 American War Flags WWII
Scale 1/35 – 54 mm
Price: US$ 11.95
Reality in Scale www.realityinscale.com
info@realityinscale.com
Shuitenberg 39, 6041 JH Roermond, The Netherlands

By Nicholas Kalis

Readers of my blog, know I tend to enjoy uncovering manufacturers of details often known best by military modelers. This review reflects that passion as well as a passion for overseas manufacturers (for US modelers that is).

If you model almost any public facility – schools, factories, military posts, you probably could use a sheet of American War Flags by Reality In Scale. Even if you model private residences, many patriotic Americans will raise a flag on a home flag pole. A sheet consists of twenty flags printed on cotton in four different sizes. The cotton is attached to a paper backing (I could not quite make this out at first). These flags are all of the 48-star variety to reflect the time before Hawaii and Alaska were added to the union as states. A brief instruction sheet is included in the polybag containing these single sheet of flags.

I used one flag on my Oahu Sugar Company depicting 1944 Hawaii. First, following instructions, I cut one flag out of the sheet using a sharp X-Acto® No. 11 blade. I missed the fact there was a paper backing and so left it on. I then cut a pole from wire I had on hand – I don’t know the scale but it looked to be within scale. Then, I planted it at my Kipapa Air Field on Oahu suggested by a fence (after the prototype) and a backdrop painted by my wife Katherine. You will need to supply your own flagpoles. You will have plenty of flags left over to share with or swap with a friend. I am guessing that anyone modeling in G scale through N scale can use these flags, especially if forced perspective is utilized.

My experience with this product and vendor was a positive one. Owned by Olav Smeets, Reality in Scale has been operating since 2006. Visitors to the Reality in Scale website will find an interesting selection of landscape mats, super detailed palm trees and leaves, Green Line Scenery, and Modelscene Scenery. Drill through Smeet's web site to find an enormous selection of accessories in 1:35 and 1:72 scales. Using their products, your visitors will see details on your layout they have never encountered before.

Comments