Helpful Hint - Five Reasons Your Workbench Needs A Notebook

Copyright 2020 Nicholas Kalis

Helpful Hint

Apologies to Nat King Cole...."Although its been said many times, many ways..." no, not "Merry Christmas" but rather "keep notes of your modeling project". 

Well I finally got to this. I now keep a notebook on or right near my workbench. As at my business desk and my auto and my nightstand (to capture ideas and notes to myself), I choose a hardback notebook - a bit more expensive but worth it - floppy covers are just hard to handle.

So why a notebook at your workbench?

  • Relieves stress; how? notes taken reassure us we will not forget what we included on our model.
  • Nothing is more frustrating on a project than to run out of some supply or paint and not know what you used. That is where note taking comes into play. Sure you could keep empty packages and bottles around, but that is just clutter and clutter is not what you need when building a model.
  • It documents what you used so you have the information you need to document your entries into modeling contests. Without proper documentation, it is impossible to score high in such contests.
  • It can document your efforts to earn awards in the NMRA Achievement Program.
  • Finally, notes taken and supplies noted can serve as the basis for an article in the modeling press or for your own modeling blog.
Revised November 12 2020

Comments