Helpful Hint - Mix Paints with Robart Hobby Paint Shaker


Photo 1 Copyright 2020 Nicholas Kalis
Robart Paint Shaker on my workbench

Photo 2 Copyright 2020 Nicholas Kalis
Sephora eyelash case makes a neat holder for these straps.
If you are finicky, use paintbrush cleaner to remove commercial messages on these cases

Helpful Hint

Extra Strap For # 27162 Paint Shaker
Micro-Mark Item # 27162A
www.micromark.com
Telephone 800 225-1066

Model railroading paints often require extensive shaking or stirring before they are ready to use. Some folks have taken to using a mixing device that works by removing the cap from the paint jar and inserting a rotating stirrer (Badger Air Brush Co. sells its 121 Paint Mixer just for this task). I prefer a paint shaker - it seems less likely to cause paint to go flying. To ensure I will use it instead of taking a short-cut and just opening a paint bottle without mixing the paint components, I keep my Robart paint shaker in a designated workbench area so it is easy to find. In any case, I rarely have the patience to shake my paint bottle for long enough to thoroughly mix the pigment that has settled at the bottom of the bottle.

You might already own a Robart paint shaker with a broken strap; these straps will snap after a few years - I think more from drying (age) than use. My Robart paint shaker was out of commission for years until I sat myself in front of my computer and purchased what amounts to a lifetime's worth of replacement straps (Product #27162A) from Micro-Mar; they seem a bit stronger than the originals that came with my shaker. 

Sephora eyelash package makes a neat case for these - you are sure to lose these straps if you don't find a well-marked container to keep them in. 

Don't have a paint shaker? Micro-Mark sells the Robart paint shaker - listed in their catalog as #27162 - for $ 64.95 - Ouch! I don't recall mine costing that much. It runs on 120-volt power. It operates with a separate transformer.

Revised January 9, 2022


Comments