Helpful Hint - Applying Wood Grain to a Trackside Details TD-39 Toolbox

Nicholas Kalis May 2024

Helpful Hint

This nicely detailed brass toolbox is meant for attachment to my Fn3 tender on my Oahu Sugar Company. I particularly liked the hinge detail on this casting - even its modeled bolts are carefully rendered by its manufacturer. My 1:20.3 plastic tender was more than a kit bashed but less than a technically scratch built project (article in the works). Indeed, this toolbox was a good enough project - I used only one color of inexpensive acrylic craft paint to replicate the prototype wood. I used black acrylic paint to render the hinges a realistic color (I possibly used a marker, my record keeping on this detail leaves a bit to be desired).
I had handy a package of leads for some special type of writing instrument, so I decided to take a greyish lead and draw wood grain on this toolbox; this free-hand graining came out looking good to me.
I then gave this painted casting a protective coat with a rattle can of Testors Dullcote to preserve my drawing. 
No scale is described for this casting, but its web site describes their product line as 1:24, 1:20.3, and 1:22.5 scale. 
Years ago, I purchased this three-piece brass casting by Trackside Details (Toolbox, TD-39) 46mm x 21mm for a lot less than the current $18.00 price.

Trackside Details
7070 N. Harrison Avenue
Pinedale CA 93650
559 439-0419
www.tracksidedetails.com

This website mentions that Trackside Details is now a product line of Valley Brass & Bronze


 

Comments