Project - O scale (1:48) Model of Oahu's Waipahu Store by Nicholas Kalis

Photo 1 Copyright 2020 Nicholas Kalis
Model of Waipahu Store in O scale (1:48) by Nicholas Kalis

Compare with ...


Photo 2
Project

History of Prototype

The Waipahu store was built in its namesake town in 1920 (as is in bas relief on the top center of the building).


 My Modeled Town

I model the Oahu Sugar Company’s railroad in Fn3 (1:20.3) [See NGDU Issue 70 for a look at my layout in progress]. Waipahu was the business district for the Oahu Sugar Company employees. I have modeled Waipahu in O scale because I felt that 1:20.3 would be a bit overwhelming and would not allow me to give an adequate picture of the size of the town. My modeling consists of sidewalks, one assembled kit and the balance of the buildings just false front photos adhered to black foam core. I have photos that confirm that the shopping district was quite busy with the streets crammed with parked cars (head in at an angle in most cases).


How I Built This Model

On the internet, I found a few photos of the Waipahu Company Store for reference purposes. I hit pay dirt with one photo that was crisp and dead on front. Problem was there was a 1980s or so red sportscar parked in front. What to do? I used some photo manipulating software that came with my computer to “erase” the auto. Voile. I had a nice color photo which I printed and then attached with spray adhesive to black foam core (the foam core was from signs that a government agency was disposing of and which I recycled). 

Results

This model consists of four layers of cardstock and styrene. It is located on my Fn3 (1:20.3) Oahu Sugar Company layout in the modeled town of Waipahu. I left out the stairs on the side of the building. Notice the smokestack in the background.



Comments