Figure Review - Preiser 1:22.5 US Track Workers Item 45075 (Painted in Mauritius)

Copyright 2020 Nicholas Kalis
Preiser Item No. 45075 US Track Workers 1:22.5 scale
Made in Federal Republic of Germany Hand Painted in Mauritius

Figure Review 



A new addition to my layout (waited about a year for these on backorder from Walthers).


To begin with, Preiser's packaging seemed quite sturdy - not "bullet proof" but useful for the long journey from Germany. Painting for Item No. 45075 seems superb - one of the joys of large scale.I also noticed these fellows would fit into many time periods - I model 1944 and I believe they will work well on my layout. While this set is not inexpensive, buyers at least can console themselves that they do get two figures for their money.

While technically, my layout is Fn3 (1:20.3), these workers in 1:22.5 vary very little in scale from my ostensible goal. In any case, I use a slew of scales from HO to G to accomplish my goals (often to achieve a reduced scale effect - usually incorrectly called "forced perspective") and by way of compromise. I should note that many indoor large scale modelers mix scales for the above two reasons. 

When employing reduced scale, the key is to not place disparate scales too close to one another. If some layout distance separates disparate scales, visitors are none the wiser. Separating the two scales employed with a non-scale features helps as well. By this we mean vegetation/foliage or rock formations. For example, at a distance it is near impossible to differentiate a fifteen foot tall tree from one with a fifty foot height.



Comments