Visit - Over A Barrel, A Cameo Layout

Visit

Yesterday I watched a YouTube video about a recent model railroad exhibition across the pond and saw a cameo layout focused on a distillery. I believe the name of the layout was "Over A Barrel". What caught my eye was its presentation. Keeping with the theme of this layout, the trains and scenery were displayed in a cut out wine or whiskey barrel. Now that is creative. Do I mention this because I think anyone should copy this? No. The value of this presentation is that it encourages the rest of us to be creative in coming up with methods of displaying our own layouts.

The challenge is that while a creative surround can enhance the experience of our visitors, we don't want to go so far as to have the surround (valance, fascia, wings) distract from the layout at hand. So it is a balancing act - creativity in communicating our story versus distraction. The final choice rests with the layout builder.

Comments