Visit - Mark Fielder's 65mm Gauge An Clar, A Cameo Layout

 

Visit

An Clar
2mm scale (2mm:1 ft)
65mm gauge

An Clar is an exquisite cameo layout built by Mark Fielder I am guessing around 2011 or earlier. The term "cameo layout" was coined by the late Iain Rice as best I can find. The locale modeled is in Ireland as best I can decipher as the name seems to derive from Clarecastle, a village in County Clare, Ireland. In any case, it is new to me so I am sharing it with my followers. I would have preferred wings that hide the end of the backdrop but otherwise this cameo layout comes close to perfection. The scenery is wonderfully executed as is the pelmet or valance that hides the well-done lighting. Fielder's creation is 600 x 200 mm in size and operates superbly. A video of this layout can be seen at https://youtu.be/bJJ9AU6S6wI?si=72CySD2DuCkW7ann . According to its builder, his backdrop was painted by David Eveleigh. The basic grass layer is dyed surgical lint - a technique that seems a bit rare on this side of the Atlantic. 

The 2mm scale Association tells us that 2mm "has a long history as the smallest practical finescale standard."

An Clar has been displayed at Zedex, an annual train show held in England that presumably focuses on Z scale and its relations. As best I can discern this show is organized by the Oxford Model Railway Club with the event's locale having changed over the years.

Comments