Project - Local Postal Cancellation Stamp Blown Up Identifies Your Layout Setting

 

Copyright 2022 Nicholas Kalis
See photograph's left side to see how I posted my layout's unusual scale;
exhibition layouts observed on the internet provided me this tip
Both the cancellation and the scale are of the same color for a
harmonious appearance

Copyright 2022 Nicholas Kalis
Close up View
Logo of the firm that produced my adhesive decal
Trademark is the property of KRT Architectural Signage LLC

A Neat Way To Identify Your Model Railroad's Locale

I believe I have found a solution to a challenge many model railroaders face. Modeled scenes on my Fn3 layout, while obviously depicting a tropical locale, hardly make clear that I model the Hawaiian Town of Waipahu and its vicinity in a WWII setting. An easy shortcut is to simply install signs on structures that mention Oahu or its Town of Waipahu; that shortcut is one I have avoided as it has an unrealistic aspect to it. Prototype buildings - unless located in big cities - often have much smaller signs or even none as compared to scenes as modeled by layout owners.

 Another solution is simply to apply your layout's name or locale to your valance; problem is, this too can sometimes seem forced or exaggerated. I sought a solution that was a bit more subtle or sent a more indirect message if you will. Other than the lettering on my two  steam locomotives, visitors would hardly would know I am modeling the Oahu Sugar Company’s plantation railroad. Nor is a 1:20.3 directional sign pointing to Pearl Harbor obvious to most visitors until they have spent some time examining my layout.

Matching my home's walls, both my valance and fascia are a neutral cream color. I have intentionally striven for a uncluttered appearance on both, so a cancellation will not overwhelm visitors. I did make one other exception and that is the vinyl lettering that depicts the unusual scale (1:20.3) that my layout is constructed in. I have used much smaller type face in places on the layout to describe various scenes - as their height is so diminutive, I do not believe they detract from the clean look I have striven for.

So, what to do? In my case, through an internet search I found a authentic postal cancellation mark self identified as “Waipahu”. Eureka; I saved this image to my computer’s hard drive. My next step was to send this image by email to a few friends and ask whether the cancellation date – which is many decades off from the era I model would become a point of confusion. My friends replied “don’t worry”, so off I went. Come to think of it, the early date of the cancellation serves to illustrate that Waipahu is a long established town. What came next was to send the image to my friend Rich Trimble of KRT Architectural Signage in Warrenton, Virginia. Rich is probably is a bit too busy to take on similar projects for others, but your local sign shop might just be able to take on a project such as this.

Rich produced for me an adhesive brown vinyl decal ten inches in diameter – to harmonize with other messages on my layout’s fascia. Rich even provided me with a second rub-on just in case I messed up the first while applying it. I then chose where I wanted this cancellation – I chose my valance, but others might choose to locate such a graphic on their painted fascia. Next was to position this adhesive decal with the backing on using blue masking tape. Once I was sure I had this cancellation in the right spot (checking with a ruler), I removed its backing and rubbed very carefully and thoroughly to release the decal from its backing. 

There are nice burnishing tools for this but I lost mine over the decades – try to get one before you attempt such a project (your vendor might have a spare one to give you for free or nominal cost). A substitute hard rubber handle of a pair of scissors is what I used as a burnishing tool. Do not rush this – my cancellation is particularly delicate and tricky and I almost messed things up. And if you mess up a bit - remember, with some patience, corrections can be made if the mishap is not too great.  

So, use your imagination and try something such as this for your model railroad layout. You might not go with a postal cancellation; you might choose some advertisement instead. One thing please, once you make your choice, share your results with your fellow modelers.

Postscript

Another take away from this article should be that stamp collecting and model railroading do have a nexus. The railroads carried mail for many years - think "RPO". Some avenues of research into postal history can yield dividends for the model railroader or the fan of railroad history.


Comments