Project - Weather an Ertl 1956 Case 600

 

Copyright 2022 Nicholas Kalis
Before Weathering - Tires have "mud" which is tile grout

Project

A layout such as mine, modeling a sugar plantation set in the 1940s, has need of a few tractors. While I model in 1:20.3 (Fn3), this scale (1:43) is fine for what most would call forced perspective - but which I would just call the "reduced scale" technique. 

In this project, I weather a 1956 Case 600 tractor made by Ertl. Red wheels set off a nice gray body on this beautiful - presumably 1:43 scale - diecast model. I purchased this model as part of a set labeled "Limited Edition, 1989" packaged for Mid-States Distributing Company Inc. Once again, we see that perhaps much of what one selects for one's model railroad can be found from companies not primarily oriented to serving our model railroad community. 

A second takeaway from my experience is that sometimes the model we seek is not available as a single purchase - here I wanted a 1940s tractor that was part of a three piece set.

I went on to weather this model with a wash and some dry brushing to bring out its details - though they are unlikely to be seen while on the layout. I also used on the tires some grout leftover from another project.

Though the date of this tractor (1956) would normally eliminate it from a model railroad set in 1944, I felt that its era was close enough to use as a model that would be set inside a structure whose doors are open. Nitpickers would not be able to identify a shortcoming. My research told me that a plantation such as the one I model on Oahu had many structures used to shield tools and machinery such as this from the elements.

My third takeaway - models with some flaw - such as scale or details or perhaps slightly wrong era - can still be used by hiding them a bit with foliage or a structure or even locating inside a structure whose doors are open.



Comments