Project - Subtle Hints of Your Layout's Era

Copyright 2022 Nicholas Kalis
Photo 1 G scale collection box (before)
Copyright 2022 Nicholas Kalis
Photo 2 Tamiya TS-5 Olive Drab 100 ml
 
Photo 3   Nicholas Kalis                          Photo 4 Nicholas Kalis
Copyright 2022 Nicholas Kalis
Photo 5 Collection Box Painted the Correct Color for 1944

Project

Larry G Scale 
US Mail Box 1/24 scale
Measures 2-1/8 inches high x 15/16 deep
Part Number LG20220002

In my prior HO scale layout I set out to show that the year modeled was 1964; to do so I modified an all-blue mail collection box by painting it with a red top (I had consulted period color photographs to research this) Photo 1 - yes, they are called "mail collection boxes". Out of the box so to speak my Larry G Scale casting (Part Number LG20220002) was painted all blue.

I thought I could do the same with my present 1:20.3 scale layout set in 1944 - wrong. I did some research and found that collection boxes in the 1940s were painted drab green - sort of like the relay boxes I was familiar with. An aside - relay boxes are those olive drab mailboxes on a route that do not accept mail but rather hold mail for a mailman on his route - so he need not carry the entire route's mail with him.

I used Tamiya TS-5 Olive Drab to repaint this collection box set in Oahu, Hawaii - the rattle can was in my garage so I brought it inside to warm up its contents (this is winter still here in Virginia). Warm paint flows better. But first I removed the red paint using Tamiya thinner with a a paper towel and Tamiya cotton swabs Triangular Medium No. 87107. The result is in Photo 5. Note also that I added a white bit of paper to depict the informational card sometimes found on these boxes.

Revised October 14, 2022

Comments