Project - Illuminating an Fn3 Gate Access Irrigation Tunnel


Copyright 2022 Nicholas Kalis
Illuminated (note rocker switch on left and wokman in the tunnel
Sign is exact reproduction of that in the prototype
Copyright 2022 Nicholas Kalis
Light rocker switch turned off
The prototype

Project

I put a lot of work into the interior of this gated irrigation tunnel and yet people could not see what I had done. The floor was painted and then some gloss liquid (do not recall the exact product) was poured on the floor to simulate water. I also hand painted the walls, ceiling and back wall to simulate boulder construction. I do not have any photos of valves or piping in the tunnel so I left that alone. I did include a figure just so visitors would have an idea of the scale of this project. In the future I hope to replicate the chain that is visible in this photograph. 

So, I illuminated it with a stirp of four LEDs I had left over from another project. My friend Gary Eames helped me. I used a Wagner Furno 300 Heat Gun to shrink the heat shrink tubing. I used a NTE 54-500 RoHS ON-NONE-OFF Round Hole Rocker 10A 125VAC SPST electrical switch to control the light. First, I had to remove the fascia and drill the appropriate size hole in it. When the project was done, I reattached my fascia to the benchwork using a compressed air nailer by Porter Cable Model BN200SB (part of the PCFP3KIT 3-Nailer and Compressor Combo Kit which includes the C2002 6 gal. 150 psi Pancake Compressor)

Materials

Copyright 2022 Nicholas Kalis

Here is the NTE 54-500 rocker switch that will control the LEDs. It is a ON-NONE-OFF Round Hole Rocker 10A, 124VAC SPST 18.2 mm Mounting Hole. Purchased at Microcenter for $ 2.49.

Copyright 2022 Nicholas Kalis
Here is the first step in illuminating my water tunnel - a 12-foot long extension cord from my power strip to the area of the tunnel.

Copyright 2022 Nicholas Kalis





LEDs

Wire

Harbor Freight Heat Shrink Tubing Item 67530

Rocker Switch - a computer store

LED Adapter

Transformer

Straps

Extension cord

Figure

Comments