Project - Weathering a G scale Acetylene Tank for use in my Fn3 Engine House

Copyright 2022 Nicholas Kalis
Photo 1 Part No. LG1015030 Before (Right) and After (Left)
Copyright 2022 Nicholas Kalis
Photo 2 G scale tank and weathering supplies (Craftsmart acrylic paint partially obscured)
 

Project

I purchased a few (three to be exact) G scale Acetylene tanks from Larry G Scale www.larrygscale.com to enhance the appearance of my Fn3 engine house interior; in large scale modeling the difference between 1:20.3 and 1:24 is hardly worth fretting about. I surmised that an isolated engine house on the island of Oahu needed to be able to make on-site repairs with an acetylene blow torch. Each 1/24 scale tank (part number LG1015030) -described as "very heavy diecast metal" - "measures 2-1/2 inches high x 5/8 inch in diameter".

Here are the five (5) coatings I used and why:

Testors Dullcote 3 oz - I used this Testors product first to create a surface to give some tooth for the chipping to adhere to; then I used it a second time to seal the rust powder applied. 

Craftsmart Light Green 2 fl oz- I used this Craftsmart inexpensive acrylic paint for chipping - a technique military modelers use to replicate paint chipping. It boils down to using a toothpick to apply dots of paint to the model; the paint chosen should be a lighter shade of the paint used for the surface one seeks to chip. If you cannot find this brand at your arts and craft store, probably any other brand will do as well.

MIG Productions Wash for Interior P282 75ml - Having this Wash for Interior on hand, I used this MIG product but wiped off quite a bit as I realized I should have thinned this before use. This wash has a bit of a greenish tint to it. If someone is replicating my efforts, I would advise that any dark wash would probably work. Beware, it takes a great deal of time to dry.

Bragdon Enterprises Light Rust FF-61 - Using this Bragdon Enterprises www.bragdonent.com product to model rust, I sought to discipline myself and not overdo it.

Bragdon Enterprises Dark Rust FF-63 - Also used to model rust. As a rule of thumb, I believe that any effort to apply rust to a model should use at least two different shades of rust - that is what I did here. Real rust on the prototype is seldom monochromatic - but if in doubt, check a color photograph of your prototype

The "group" photo (Photo 1) is an after view with all weathering techniques applied.

Final word - no large-scale modeler should be unaware of Larry G Scale - they have a seemingly endless variety of details for the large-scale model railroader.

Revised May 17, 2022

Comments