Hint - Testor's Glosscote Makes More Realistic Large-Scale Paper Vine

Copyright 2022 Nicholas Kalis
After Application of Glosscote
Copyright 2020 Nicholas Kalis
Before Photograph
Hint

Testor

Glosscote Lacquer

1 3/4 Fl. Oz.

Item No. 1161

I struggled with this decision. One the one hand, many shiny objects in real life appear to lose their shine when viewed from afar. As modelers we often mimic this by painting a model automobile flat that would otherwise appear shiny when viewed up close. So, I had a paper vine applied on both a modeled fallen log and a vertical dead tree. The equities seemed equiposed until I considered where visitors to my layout would be standing when they observed this vine. Since both these features are very close to the eyes of a viewer, I thought that making the vines shiny might just make sense. 

So today, January 14 2022, I decided to use a tiny paint brush and apply Testor's Glosscote Lacquer No. 1161 (1 3/4 Fl. Oz. bottle) to those vine leaves. The before and after photos do show a noticeable difference though not one that shouts out at the viewer.

For those curious, the resin casting fallen tree is by Armand P. Bayardi. The grass is a mat by Martin Welberg Scenic Studios (gifted by Gary Eames). The teeth edge of my fascia is Neatform Bendy MDF (Rockler® Item # 27827).

Revised January 15, 2022

Comments