Project - A More realistic engine house - continued

 

Copyright 2021 Nicholas Kalis

Project

On December 27. 2021, I purchased these Crescent Wiss 7" tinner snips from McLean Hardware to cut to size corrugated roof panels on my 1:20.3 scale engine house. These snips worked fine on the heavy-duty corrugated panels I purchased from Jeff Howard at G Scale Engineering www.gscalecorrugatedmetal.com; his G scale steel panels are thick as they were designed for outdoor use. While my Fn3 (1:20.3 scale) layout is not outdoors as many layouts in this scale are, I liked the scale and heft of Howard's corrugated product. Not wanting to use my miniature table saw to cut my panels down to size, I feared a lighter duty snip would be unable to cut my panels down to size in a neat fashion. 

Wishing to emphasize how I used these snips to build my model engine house, I consciously chose to label this article as "Project" over "Product Review". Not everyone will need such a tool to build a model railroad but those of us in the larger scales would find such snips to be handy for cutting metal. Moreover, I found its rubber coated handles to be quite comfortable. 

At $ 14.99, I found this to be a reasonably priced investment as other snips were much more expensive; I am glad I foreswore the higher-priced route. The Crescent Wiss brand seems to be widely available both on the internet and at brick-and-mortar outlets. Note its packaging reads "Cuts up to 24 GA CRS"; "CRS" likely refers to "Cold Rolled Steel".

Revised March 13, 2022

Comments