Product Review - Model Master Aluminum Plate No. 1451

Copyright 2021 Nicholas Kalis

Product Review

Aluminum Plate
Item 1451
3 oz.
Model Master (The Testor  Corporation)
My search might be over for a paint to cover the corrugated steel sheets I will apply to my 1:20.3 engine house. Interestingly the front label of this rattle can adds the wording "(Buffing Metalizer)" below "Aluminum Plate".

Yes, the corrugated sheets the prototype utilized were not made of aluminum; that does not matter in the search for appropriate paint. It is a tough search - I have already dropped a few bucks for weathering fluids that by themselves will not do the trick. And my search is a two-fold one - I need paint for both the underside of the modeled corrugated sheets and for the side exposed to the weather. Too many modeling articles and YouTube videos teach how to rust corrugated steel models to an extent that was unlikely while the railroad operated. Now if you want to model a structure abandoned for many decades perhaps then some weathering is called for. I have a color photo of a long abandoned corrugated steel pump house that shows almost zero rust on the vertical sheathing - and this is in Hawaii.

 

Comments