Project - Detailing a 1:43 Scale 1937 Studebaker Ambulance

Copyright 2022 Nicholas Kalis
AFT Decals AR77041 Decal Applied; notice gloss coat on roof before DullCote is sprayed on
Copyright 2021 Nicholas Kalis
Before Photograph
Used to adhere the decal to the ambulance roof. A word of caution: after I applied Micro Sol,
the decal seemed to be bubbling up in places and I thought it was ruined. The next morning, my fears proved unfounded; the decal fit nice and snug.
Flat Chisel (rubber)
Copyright 2020 Nicholas Kalis
I did use this tool to move the decal into place though I messed up a bit and did not get it exactly in the roof's middle. I had hesitated to handle the model too much and so I did not get a good look at what I had done. Perhaps the real painters in wartime messed up a bit too.

Project

AR77041
U.S. ambulance markings
1/35 Scale
US$10.95
AFT Decals
305 NW Railroad Street
Youngsville NC 27596
info@archertransfers.com
www.archertransfers.com
Per instructions large markings are for 3/4 to 1 1/4 range (Dodge 214 series, M37B1, M725, M886 or M1010 plus canvas topped M561 Gama Goat. Smaller decals for Willys MB with canvas, M38/M170, M151/M825, Weasel and other light vehicles.

Ambulance
Scale 1:43
1937 Studebaker
The Phoenix Mint
Product Code 18376
Front doors and hood open
Detailed engine compartment
Made in China

As I model in 1:20.3 (Fn3) a narrow-gauge Hawaiian railroad during WWII and have a O scale scene crowded with parked automobiles, I felt an ambulance parked on my modeled Waipahu street made sense. Why would an Army ambulance be parked in Waipahu? Even ambulance drivers will stop somewhere in town to pick up some sundries not available at the post exchange. Phoenix Mint ambulance 18376 is missing the prototype roof markings so I am affixing decals from AFT Decals 1/35 scale AR77041 in 1/35 scale; their decals come packaged with an instructional sheet. 

Most model railroaders by now have heard or read of Archer Fine Transfers; I had thought this application would be easier as I was under the impression that these were transfers as that is the nature of the original line of products of Archer Fine Transfers of which AFT Decals is a division. I will need to add a gloss coating of some sort to be sure this decal does not silver - I will look for Pledge at the supermarket.

For the price - it can be found for sale on the internet for as low as US$ 22, this is a nice ready to run die-cast model of an ambulance numbered as US 143002. My readings tell me many more numbers (on bumpers) would have been applied to the prototype - but at this scale, its numbering is good enough for this modeler. Its body can be removed with a small Phillips screwdriver. Rubber tires have treads; side windows are not glazed; its underbody is reasonably detailed; and the interior featured a brown bench seat and a steering wheel. A pair of clear windshield wipers are molded into the split front windshield; at the rear is a single fixed door with two rectangular windows. A red logo of the U.S. Army Medical Department on a round white field adorns its rear door. Two suggestions: A driver could be easily inserted into the passenger compartment. This model could benefit from some light weathering. 

I will keep readers posted on my success.

Wartime (WWII) photo showing an ambulance with roof top markings.
While this is not a Studebaker, it is nevertheless instructive.
Many restorations and museum ambulances have the roof top red cross
but a wartime photograph is more authoritative.

Revised October 25, 2022


Comments