Product Review - Prismacolor Premier Mahogany Red PM-150, A Double-Ended Art Marker

 

Copyright 2021 Nicholas Kalis

Review

Prismacolor Art Marker

Chisel/Fine PM-150

So what does a model railroader need a double-ended colored marker for? Well, in my case I am using it to mark rusty nail heads on my 1:20.3 wooden engine house for my Fn3 Oahu Sugar Company layout. With a light touch, such a marker would probably work well with an O scale effort. With this product one has no need for a bottle of paint; no need to shake the bottle before use; no need use a fine tipped paint brush on ones model; and no need to clean the brush afterwards. In fact, modelers will probably find it easier to control such a marker versus a paint brush. My local art supply store - Plaza Artist Materials www.plazaart.com had a great rack of what seemed to be endless colors. I have used these markers before to color in some black and white photos I printed off the internet and pasted onto my layout backdrop.

To replicate 1:20.3 nail heads and a vertical rust streak on my weathered wood sheathing, I chose Mahogany Red PM-150. The price on Plaza's web site is $ 4.49/each. I found that this color worked well for modeled rust.

This line of markers have two nibs and two caps. After much frustration guessing at which nib was the smaller one I needed I noticed that the band at each end was of a different size. One band is thicker, denoting the chisel (larger) nib and the thinner band denotes the fine nib. A nice feature is that each cap has a protrusion that keeps your marker from rolling off your workspace.

According to Plaza Artist Materials, the ink contained is alcohol and dye-based. Owned by Newell Rubbermaid Office Products, Prismacolor Premier is approved as safe and non-toxic by ACMI.

I heartily recommend this product. Pick the colors you need for your modeling projects and have at it.

Revised January 29, 2022


Comments