Essay - Progress on One's Layouts - Optimist versus Pessimist

Essay

Copyright 2020 Nicholas Kalis

There are two ways to approach our modeling or on a larger scale, building our layout; they are the optimistic approach and the pessimistic approach. Which one will you choose?

Below is a fictional dialogue between the pessimist and the optimist

I went down to my basement and got nothing done on my modeling, all I could do was clean up my workbenchTHAT'S PROGRESS

I went down to my basement but had only the energy or time to add one stick to my scratch building project... THAT'S PROGRESS

I went down to my basement and realized that I was out of the glues and parts I needed to continue my project... THAT'S PROGRESS (Provided you made an inventory of what you needed... hopefully you keep a notebook and a pen to jot down this inventory)

I spent the evening finding prototype photographs of the scene I am modeling... got nothing done.
THAT'S PROGRESS, provided you downloaded the photos and have plans to model same.

I spent my evening shopping on the internet for my layout THAT'S PROGRESS, those supplies will arrive within a week and launch you on the next step towards completing your model or your layout. And providing your purchases are focused on your layout or modeling targets rather than just buying models etc. that have no relationship to your targeted goals.

Which one are you? At first, I was the pessimist, once I got my mind around being the optimist, my modeling made more progress and I was happier.

Remember what David Allen wrote... we don't manage our time, we manage our projects.
Getting Things Done


Comments