Visit - Ballast on My Fn3 Oahu Sugar Company

Photo 1


Photo 2

My friend Carl Barna asked about my use of ballast on my Fn3 Oahu Sugar Company. Here is how I answered him:


Good question – I assume you are asking about my Fn3 Oahu Sugar Company.



  • I examined many photos of Oahu – both of agricultural areas and railroad roadbed
  • The earth in Oahu seems to be red – see Photo 2

  • I never saw any ballast on this line – remember, plantation railroads were poorly maintained as were many narrow gauge railroad
  • Also recall that there would be no ballast in tracks that were laid temporarily in sugar cane fields – plantation field tracks were laid almost the way a child would  lay his Lionel sectional track on the living room carpet.
  • So I used no ballast on my layout except on a swing-out gate or duck-under if one chooses. 
  • I was going to leave it un-scenicked but then got carried away and scenicked it and used some O scale ballast I had on hand.

Comments