Project - O scale Waipahu Liquor - Actual Waipahu building

Photo 1 Copyright 2020 Nicholas Kalis

Photo 2 This was printed on label paper and affixed to foam core and the installed on second floor apartment

Project

So what do we have here?
  • First floor has checkered floor paper found on internet.
  • A photo of a liquor store interior was photoshopped and then applied to foam core
  • Second floor also has a photograph of a 1920s kitchen applied to foam core - I used full sheet label paper to make the job go faster (so I would not need to let the spray adhesive dry overnight
  • I installed its hanging O scale neon sign with hot glue - thought that truly hanging the sign would leave a bit too fiddly - particularly where it will be placed on my layout
  • The wooden with tarpaper (black photo developing tape) awning has been installed and weathered
  • Two of its second floor windows are ajar
  • All three windows have window shades - made of construction paper - installed at varying lengths
  • My first near-rooftop sign was discarded and replaced by a smaller sign that would be more true to prototype.
  • On my first attempt, these O scale wooden corbels would not fit due to how my roof was installed... I was thinking of leaving them off as a salute to a simpler building that may be showing its age by 1944 but then decided to include them after all.
  • I am waiting for an O scale electric meter from my friend Gary Eames (Yes, I did receive this electric meter and duly installed it)

Comments