Book Review - Sugar Water Hawaii's Plantation Ditches

Book Review

Sugar Water Hawaii's Plantation Ditches
Carol Wilcox
Softcover
194 pages
University of Hawai'i Press
Copyright 1996
Black and White Illustrations

What makes model railroading so interesting is that it broadens our horizons. If you had asked me at the start of this hobby journey whether I would ever be perusing a book on Hawaiian irrigation, the answer would have been a resounding "no". Yet,  here I found myself ordering this book from University of Hawai'i Press on Amazon so to learn more about the plantation railroad I model in Fn3 (1:20.3 scale).

If you are modeling railroads on Hawaiian sugar cane plantations, this book should prove useful. If you model a sugar plantation on Oahu, you would find chapter 7, devoted to Oahu, interesting. Wilcox put a great deal of research into this book and it shows. If I am permitted to quibble, some color illustrations would have added to my enjoyment of this book.

Revised November 22 2020


Comments