Project - Scratchbuilt metal gate installed to follow Oahu prototype with some compromise

Copyright 2019 Nicholas Kalis

Project

This styrene gate on my Oahu Sugar Company was a difficult project. I built a jig to make it and even purchased a hot air gun to bend the styrene yet making the curved top proved difficult. At some point, I just stopped and declared the Fn3 fence good enough. As is usually the case, visitors liked my results and did not comment on what I believed were deficiencies. Visitors seem to like the rust treatment I applied. It seems a truism that we modelers are harder on ourselves than visitors are. Installed September 2019. 

To install this water tunnel, I needed to cut an opening out on my fascia. Notice that the sign duplicates a sign I saw in photograph of such a water tunnel. The facade is poured hydrocal plaster.

For more information, see my article in Narrow Gauge Downunder

Revised December 5 2020

Comments

Post a Comment