Project - Fn3 Styrene Sign Directs Travelers to Pearl Harbor, Hickam Field and Fort Kamehameha

Photo 1 Photographer Unknown

Photo 2 Copyright 2019 Nicholas Kalis
Fn3 (1:20.3) Model on Oahu Sugar Company Layout


Photo 3 Close-up
Photographer Unknown


Project


I made a copy (Photo 2) of this historic sign on Oahu (Photos 1 and 3) and planted it on my Fn3 layout as scenery. I have a sixth sense that this sign is correct for the era I model - World War II. I got the idea to include such a sign from my mentor Doug Gurin. Such signs establish in the minds of visitors the place and era we are modeling. By the typeface and style of the sign, it clearly is not a present-day sign.
Rather than re-create the sign, I just copied it from the internet; glued it to some sheet styrene;
 and then attached it to two legs. I had the sign face the aisle - perhaps I will re-orient it to not face the aisle for a more subtle look. It would otherwise be hard to re-create this typeface, the lines, and the arrow. Interestingly, in a photograph, the straps on the photograph appear, at first glance, to be three-dimensional.

Thank you, Doug.

Revised January 7, 2022 


Comments