Research - Kato Store Oahu with Proud Owners and their fleet of delivery vehicles


Research


Kato Store

Why include this photo in my blog? Firstly, I would like to scratch build this mercantile building for the O scale town of Waipahu I have included in my Fn3 layout depicting the Oahu Sugar Company. Secondly, there is so much to admire here. A Japanese American family has more than achieved the American dream - they have helped build the American dream for their customers and their employees and not to mention their family members. Look at the fleet of trucks they are so proud of. I should mention that the Kato family were not alone - many Japanese families had prospered in business as the Kato family had.

I do not know the year this photograph was taken but I love how well dressed each family member is. I suspect the young men at the left may not all be family - surely, some are simply employees.

Should I ever have this map translated, I am sure we would learn of more Japanese American businesses in Waipahu. An amateur historian in Japan, Minoru Kanda, shared this map with me years ago (I am writing in 2023) - we had written that one day he might translate it for me. His interest was in the Japanese diaspora.

Revised August 6, 2023


Comments